Tools implanted with recording facility do not possess enough potentiality to support the requirement raised by the user while verifying application components. Though they can validate the state of standard objects : they lack support for custom, image-based, and non-GUI components. More precisely they work only on the basic flow of the application rather than to support logical statements, parametrization and to handle change in data.
AscentialTest back application components with
- Custom controls.
- Custom complex tables and tree views using selectors.
- Application images (small icons) and rendered text.
- ODBC (database), xml, text files, .ini files and PDF.
AscentialTest leaves an option to the tester while choosing the attribute of an object. It uses object attributes to define objects.
- Once the target application changes, AscentialTest highlights the objects in the existing object repository in red that can no longer be found.
Users can simply select a new attribute to identify objects that have changed.
Objects are identified by using objects coordinates, images and text. If there is a change in the target application, the object definition fall apart and affects test automation framework drastically.
Tests frequently share common manipulations (e.g. Logging in the application for instance). The user need to record them again and again, every time a test is using them. One cannot imagine to build a complex test using recorder tools as there is no reusable component.
With AscentialTest, one can define object actions called “Steps“, Every step can be reused and can be assembled to create a test.
- No need to define common actions multiple times, just reuse the steps for as many tests as you need.
- Complex test is created in a smarter way.
- Since Test is a combination of steps , the user is allowed to break the test scenarios into as many steps as they can.
- When the application changes, only the impacted steps are updated, the other tests will get automatically updated.
No framework is developed, as it is built up gradually as the users capture objects and create steps in a drag and drop interface.
- AscentialTest automatically builds test data tables and writes a query into the test to retrieve data and thereby link them to test parameters.
There are no keywords or external Excel Tables to deal with.
Extending beyond basic recordings requires the development of a testing framework by skilled developers. This action not only requires lot of coding but also demands more time for handling external test data by a testing team with programming experience.
For recorders, a test is composed of a recording of a series of UI manipulations.
- When something changes in a screen (a text label, the position of a control…), your object definition is impacted and you have to create all the related tests again.
For each version of the application, you need to record the same tests repeatedly, which defeats the purposes of automated testing.
With AscentialTest a test is combination of steps which are composed of a series of actions, applied to application objects.
- As long as the application objects are present, you can change anything on the screen without impacting the tests.
- For each version of the application, you just update a few object and step components.