The general perception about ROI is, like, when we invest in some business, we expect to capitalize more than we paid for it, which we usually symbolize as benefits. The real advantage of Return on Investment stretches a long way beyond money. The actual skill is to know how to estimate the amount that you will receive against your investment and to check the prospect of an investment so that no time, money and effort get wasted. Another significant part of ROI is that, it helps in exploring, at the same time measuring the promising returns on different investments and to understand the competition prevailing in the market.
To understand more on the subject, let’s analyse ROI with respect to Free / Open source tool and Commercial test automation tool in the market and then compare with AscentialTest Tool
First, let’s list the immediate requirements to be aware of
Strong Knowledge on Installation and Environment Set up
Proficiency on dependency software’s and plugins
Highly skilled / experienced work force on particular language becomes mandatory
Developing a test framework is an expensive and time-consuming task. Custom code must be written to integrate open source tools along with CI solutions like Jenkins and then to generate email reports. In some cases utilities must be written to support interaction with odbc, xml and other interfaces. Only after the completion of a stable framework the actual test development will begin.
Open source tools do not provide adequate support for custom and dynamic objects. Costly workarounds are required which may take weeks to implement. In some cases, test coverage will also be limited because a custom solution is not feasible.
Second, once the above requisites are established, It may take a year or more to develop a regression suite / Smoke suite, which demonstrates that ROI gets generated only in the following year.
This Option cannot be reliable as the test development is slow on the grounds of high test maintenance along with unknown support for custom and dynamic classes
Hence, it is mandatory to think before we really want to choose a FREE test automation tool which is really not free, but expensive in terms of ROI, as the resources take several years to develop a stable framework.
Expensive with all the plugins required for CI integration (Version control, Defect tracking, Centralized Database, Reporting, Parallel execution)
Require highly experienced resources with scripting knowledge
Takes several months or close to a year to develop the framework
This Option may not be feasible as the investment in the product and the resources is too high which extends the generation of ROI probably more than 2 years
AscentialTest is based on Snapshot technology which allows drag and drop feature to create Object repository, Steps, Functions, Test, plan, Suite and Testset. The entire development starting from Object repository creation to Testset (contains a plan or a suite) is just drag and drop. This technology makes test development much faster (customers say 30-50% faster) where test maintenance is also lowered by 40-50% than any other product. Test execution is faster because of the host target model (parallel execution up to 128 VM’s) which is inbuilt within our product.
Principal features of AscentialTest that impacts ROI :
- Acceptable product cost
- Simple and hurdle free installation
- No framework required
- No coding required
- Reusable Steps and Functions
- Less experienced resources
- Very good support for custom and dynamic objects
- Single purchase includes necessary plugins required to execute from CI to reporting
Let us analyze “How AscentialTest influence ROI ”
Test development, test maintenance and test execution are the significant phases of the automated testing process that influences the return on investment (ROI) .
- Test Development:
- Does not require a framework or does not require a coding language
- Less experienced or domain engineers can develop tests by using drag and drop feature.
- Drag and drop feature is used to build Object Repository and Steps/Functions
- Steps/Functions (reusable) are created by the built-in methods and properties available to the objects.
- Parameterization for the steps and tests are done through adding parameters or built in Datatable.
- Query of data from Data table is done by the tool automatically and assigns the variable name to the input fields automatically
Drag and drop being the key feature, Test development is faster by 30-50% when compared to any other test automation tools
2. Test Maintenance:
- Any change in Object Repository reflects the change in the entire project
- Any change in the Steps/Functions reflects the change in the entire project
- Change of objects in any page of the application is easily identifiable as the snapshot reveals the difference of the property or attribute change in the Object Repository immediately.
- Every Step can be executed to test/verify individually
An In-depth analysis of our product has proven effortless maintenance for a large number of tests/Projects
3. Test Execution:
- Since the test runs through the cache, execution is much faster on the AUT
- In-built host target model allows execution of testset to run in parallel on remote and virtual machine’s
- Generates single report when run in parallel or multiple VM’s as the results are written into a database
- Consider a scenario where 500 testcases are in execution-, and suppose an application crash exist in the 200th testcase the results of the 200 tests will still be available in the report and the execution can be carried out later from 201 test
A detailed study reveals why AscentialTest execution is faster than other test automation tools
In view of the above mentioned discussion,
AscentialTest Tool claims to Generate ROI within very first year of the investment by the customer for their project
While introducing test automation tools for your current and upcoming testing projects, discuss with your team and decision influencers and act upon every point that we have discussed here to start-off faster project deliveries with the highest quality. Always choose the product based on the ROI and the reliability the product generates in the long run of your project.